STANDISH OF DUXBURY
7.4. Leyland Hundred, Manors
Helen Moorwood 2013
This map has been imported from mylesstandish.info, courtesy of webmaster Tony Christopher. Apart from locating Duxbury in this larger area, it is very useful for locating many places mentioned in texts.
They are here called Manors, with each one having its Lord of the Manor. An alternative name is Townships, which for most purposes is almost synonymous. The date of 1300 was chosen by Tony Christopher because this was around the time when Hugh[1A1] de Standish arrived in Duxbury from Standish via Heapey and built his Pele Tower in the extreme north of Duxbury. At that time the Lords of the Manor were the Duxburys, who lived in Duxbury (Old) Hall (called here Duxbury Manor House), on or near the site of the original Deowuc’s Burgh, which had given its name to the area.
In the extreme south is the Manor of Standish, which for centuries had a Standish as Lord of the Manor, with no competitors for this title. It was/is next to Worthington, and on the boundary between these was Bradley Hall, with lands in Standish, Worthington and Langtree, which later became a valued small estate of Standish of Duxbury. (Langtree in 1300 also had its Lords of Langtree, but this became subsumed under the Manor of Standish. There is a separate section in the VCH on Standish-with-Langtree.) This made the situation very confusing for later historians, when Standish of Standish gained a foothold in Duxbury by buying Duxbury (Old) Hall in 1524 and around the same time (or before) acquired Burgh in Duxbury. There is still debate as to whether the home of Standish of Burgh was at Lower Burgh Hall (marked on the map) or another neighbouring hall. The very name Lower Burgh Hall implies the existence of an Upper Burgh Hall, which indeed exists in its modern version. However, the important point is that Burgh, although a separate entity, was subsumed under the Manor of Duxbury. The family living in Burgh in 1613, when they presented their Visitation Pedigree, called themselves Standish of Burgh although most of Burgh was in the township of Duxbury. They, however, were Standishes of Standish.
One sees clearly on this map the confusion that occasionally arose about Duxbury and its relationship to Chorley and Standish. The Pele and Lower Burgh Hall were right in the north, very close to the boundary with the Manor of Chorley, which contained their closest church, St Laurence’s. However, the Parish of Standish, with its church of St Wilfrid’s, already started at Duxbury, including Coppull, Worthington and Adlington as well as Standish itself.
In the north-east of the Hundred of Leyland are Heapey, Wheelton, Withnell, Whittle-le-Woods, Brindle and Hoghton. In Hoghton the Hoghtons were the Lords of the Manor from earliest times and for many centuries. They also owned much land in these other manors, often side by side with the Standishes of Duxbury, particularly in Heapey. One meets these names many times in the Standish of Duxbury Muniments, but rarely with another Lord of the Manor of any of these places. As a local historian wrote recently about the moors and ‘artificial boundaries’ in this area, where Manors later became Townships, although not always with the same boundaries:
p. 10. Why, then, do I use the term ‘Brinscall Moors’ to describe the Anglezarke to Abbey Village upland scene, our special and distinctive chunk of rough pastures, rough tracks, fallen enclosure walls and crumbled farmhouses? For four reasons. Firstly because it has unity of character and experience in which division into three townships is ultimately meaningless and irrelevant; secondly because all names and boundaries are artificial anyway and are often temporary and partly accidental; thirdly because we are simply and realistically adopting what has become common parlance among those who know and care about the area; and fourthly because the area did once have a single name. This was before the Withnell, Wheelton and Heapey jurisdictions were imposed, before the de Hoghtons, or Whalley Abbey, or the Parke or Wood families exercised their authority in Withnell, Wheelton and the moorland and before the Standishes of Duxbury held sway in parts of Heapey as well as Anglezarke. Before the creation of the tripartite ownership system, our moors north of the Dean Black and Calf Hey Brooks, north of a line, that is, from White Coppice to the Belmont Read, were known by the single, expressive and evocative name of Gunolfsmores.
David Clayton, Lost Farms of Brinscall Moors - and lives of Lancashire hill farmers,
Palatine Books, Carnegie Publishing, 2011, reprinted 2012, p. 10.)
Over in the west of Leyland Hundred one sees Croston and Mawdesley. We will remember that Myles Standish’s list of lands “surruptuously detained” in his Will in 1656 were: “in Ormistick Borsconge Wrightington Maudsley Newburrow Crawston and the Ile of man”. Of these other four manors, one sees just Burscough on this map, already in the Hundred of West Derby. The other three are further south. These were the westernmost lands in Leyland Hundred ever owned by the Standishes, whether of Standish or Duxbury. Straddling the boundary between the manors (later townships) of Croston and Bretherton, on the old course of the Yarrow, lies a small estate owned jointly in 1355 by Richard[2A2] Standish of Duxbury and others, some of whose names will be recognised from mentions above: “William Banastre of the More of Bretherton, Richard son of Hugh de Standisshe, Simon de Longtre (Langtree), John de Longtre and Richard de Horscar” (DP397/13/1). This area today is still called the Isle of Man.
Speed’s version of the Hundred of Leyland was much more picturesque, but not always identical with the later more accurate version. The Victoria County History map gives much larger areas of divisions. Both are added below, mainly just to bring them all together in one place. Sometimes one is more convenient than the other for points of reference.
Picturesque as Speed’s map of 1610 is, it would not have been much use for the traveller to Standish or Duxbury at the time. Standish and Standish Hall are far apart (wrongly) and Duxbury is not marked as such, only the two Halls there, “the Pele” owned at the time by Alexander Standish of Duxbury[10A1], and Burgh by Thurstan Standish (a Standish of Standish), who presented his VP three years later. Chorley here is Charley.
The VCH (1906) does not make it clear at which date these were the divisions, but they certainly apply to shortly before the industrial era. After that the population explosion in some areas caused regular new divisions. Until 1974 this was very solidly Central Lancashire. Now it is the south-west, with West Derby now Merseyside and Salford part of Greater Manchester (which also now includes Standish). “Hmmph”, say Friends of Real Lancashire.