STANDISH OF DUXBURY
7.6. Duxbury Estate Map c.1584
Helen Moorwood 2013
Base map from 1757 Estate Survey (DDRf/11/1). Field names clarified by Helen Moorwood and Jim Heyes. 1584 information added by Bill Walker and Tony Christopher from fieldwork, 1582 Tenant List re Building Standish Church (PR3134/4/2), 1577 Sketch Map (DP397/8/46) and later estate records. Map drawn by Brian Clarke of Gilling Dod Architects, Duxbury Hall Barn.
© St Laurence Historical Society, Chorley
The Duxbury Estate Map c.1584 shown in this section (below) was prepared as indicated above, which appears below the map on the website mylesstandish.info from 2. The Research of St Laurence Historical Society. The text of the article was written in 2006 by Bill Walker, resident and historian of Duxbury. The map shows very clearly all the numbered sites, of course, but a few additional comments might be useful for the newcomer to Duxbury.
The North of Duxbury. The sites of the old and new bridges over the Yarrow in the north can be seen clearly. When the A6 was re-constructed in 1827 it was re-routed to the east of the ancient roadway, passing over the new bridge. (See Map 7.7.) The old bridge was where the fork in the medieval road off to the left meets the river. Near and on the site of The Pele today are only some of the half-smothered foundations of the mill, which was operating until the 1960s, but has since been demolished. One of the pieces of evidence that this siting of The Pele is correct is the old name of the field immediately behind as Hall Hey. Its position right in the north of the estate can also be seen as posing a problem as to which church the Standishes attended. The Pele was at the furthest point distant from Standish Parish Church, which was the parish in which Duxbury was sited, anciently and still at this time. The inset map shows how much closer the north of Duxbury was/is to Chorley than Standish.
The Centre of Duxburyconsisted of large fields at this time, which made it very easy to convert it into a Park when Duxbury (New) Hall was built. The eastern part is most noteworthy by being the opposite – dozens of small fields, probably reflecting the main population of Duxbury living in smallholdings and small tenant farms. The names of the tenants at this time can be seen in the box top left, with several of their tenements identified by the numbers in circles.
The South of Duxbury. All researchers agree that this was undoubtedly where the original Deowuc’s Burgh was sited. There are differing contestants for the site of Duxbury (Old) Hall, the medieval successor and the main home of the Duxburys of Duxbury until their sale of it in 1524 to a Standish of Standish. Site (1) is a strong contender, for the reason given below the map – the adjacent ‘Wall Field’. The field named ‘Hey before the door’ is another distinct clue that ‘the door’ in question was of an important old dwelling, in this case most likely Duxbury (Old) Hall. In 1584, as today, Site (8) is named Farnworth House. Members of this family seem to have served something like the role of ‘Steward’ to the Standishes of Duxbury, appearing as executors and overseers of Standish Wills in the 17th century. Ellerbeck Old Hall has also been suggested as a site for Duxbury (Old) Hall, but its position on this map, clearly beyond the boundary of the main Duxbury family and later Standish Estate, makes this unlikely.
Eller Brook, the small tributary of the Yarrow, obviously served as the natural southern boundary of Duxbury Manor/township/Estate owned by the Standishes of Duxbury, but the Estate stretched over the western banks of the Yarrow.
Burgh Hall. Beyond the furthest fields on the left shown here comes Burgh, a distinct estate, accessible by the old bridge in the south. Only the supports on the banks of the Yarrow remain today. On this map Site (14) is given as the site of Old Burgh Hall. I beg to differ with this identification, not least because the siting of ‘Burgh’ on Saxton’s 1577 and Speed’s 1610/11 maps places it very definitely to the west of one part of the Yarrow, but NOT to the south. Also the sites, even today or until recently, of Upper Burgh Hall and Lower Burgh Hall (demolished in 2009) were well to the north-west in Burgh itself, part of which was already in the Manor of Chorley. They can be seen clearly on 7.8. Chorley Manor 1726.
Hall o’th Hill, although in neighbouring Heath Charnock to the east, up the hill from Duxbury, can also be seen as a name up a road on the right. This is a convenient place to give details of the owners around the time of this map of c.1584. In Lord Burgley’s Map of Lancashire in 1590, the Asshaws of Hall o’th’ Hill are given the following paragraph by the Editor Joseph Gillow.
Asshawe, Thomas, of the Hall o’th’ Hill Heath Chamock, in the parish of Standish, was the eld. s. of Roger Asshawe, of the same, by Jane, d. and coh. of Sir James Harrington, of West Leigh. He mar. Mary, d. of Jas. Anderton, Euxton Hall, and had an only d. and h., Anne, wife of Sir John Radcliffe, of Ordsall Hall. He was a Catholic but a temporizer. His brother, Leonard, died here in 1594, and his son and namesake, who was lord of the manor of the Hall o’th’ Hill in 1600, was the last of the name, and died in 1633, leaving two or more daughters and coheirs, one of whom became the wife of Peter Egerton, Esq.
(Joseph Gillow, Lord Burghley’s Map of Lancashire in 1590, Catholic Record Society, 1907, p. 31.)
Hall o’th’ Hill is today the home of Chorley Golf Club, not to be confused with Duxbury Park Golf Club.
Inset bottom left: Map showing the places named in Myles Standish’s 1656 will (in his order): “Ormistick (Ormskirk), Bursconge (Burscough), Wrightington, Maudsley (Mawdesley), Newburrow (Newburgh), Crawston (Croston) and the Ile of Man”.