STANDISH OF DUXBURY
2. DP397 The Standish of Duxbury Muniments
Deeds Purchased (1965) by the Lancashire Record Office (now Lancashire Archives)
2D. 1220-1300: Duxbury before the Standishes
[Commentaries by Helen Moorwood 2002-2013]
Here we go with the abstracts themselves. They have been divided into manageable sections, each with a descriptive title.
6/1.* c. 1220
Grant: Richard of Chernoc to Adam of Dokisbury – piece of his land in Chorley, within these bounds beginning where the ditch falls from the clough of Rinward into the Yarue [Yarrow], so ascending the same ditch as far as the high road leading from Chorlee at Dokisbury, following that road south as far as the Yarue, following the Yarue descending to a place where the said ditch falls into the Yarue, with all privileges within the township of Chorlee – with quittance of pannage for his own pigs in woods of Chorley and quittance of pasture for sheep and cattle, and reservation of grantor’s sparrowhawks, bees, mills, parks, assarts. Rent: 2d yearly at assumption of B.V.M.
Witness: Warin of Waleton, Ralph of Stanedis, Henry of Longetre, William of Wrsington [Worthington?], John of Coppul, Hugh Gogart, Richard of Adelinton, Roger of Wrkidlee, Herbert the clerk, etc. n.d. c.1220.
[Add. for Duxbury ‘cousins’. This is the earliest mention of a Duxbury de Duxbury in this collection. The earlier references to Ulf de Duxbury (b. c.1120), Magnus, Siward, etc. are from other collections, most referenced in the VCH, some spotted by other Duxbury researchers. Most details are on The Duxbury Family Website.]
Quitclaim: for 80 marks of silver: Simon of Grubbehevit to Robert, Lord of Latham – all rights in lands in Rabi, Childewelle, Anleesharke [Anglezarke], Witn:- Sir Benedict, prior of Burghettude [Burscough Priory?], Sir John of Mara, Simon of Halsale, Henry of Waleton, Walter of Scharisbrec [Scarisbrick], Thomas Bussell, Richard and Adam, brothers, of Knuslee [Knowsley], Henry, clerk of Torboc, Henry, lord of Torbock, Roger of Hurelton, Adam, lord of Bikerstac [Bickerstaffe], Henry of Stanidis, etc. c.1229-1235.
[Add.This is the first mention of a Standish in this collection. The reason for this document appearing here is perhaps because of the inclusion of lands in Anglezarke, almost adjacent to Duxbury, a township in which the later Standishes often had interests. Roby and Childwall were much closer to Lathom, the seat of “Robert, Lord of Lathom”, whose lands were later to pass through the marriage of a Lathom heiress to Sir John Stanley, whose descendants became the Earls of Derby. The places mentioned above, Burscough, Halsall, Knowsley and Bickerstaffe, were later to form the central lands of Stanley territory. The witnesses here present an impressive list of several local Lords of the Manor and indicate that the family of Henry Standish of Standish was already considered a major new addition to these ranks. The Bussell who was also a witness was from the de Busli/Bussell/Bushell family, whose founder was the Baron of Penwortham.]
3/1.* 13th c.
Grant: Henry of Bebinton [Babington] to Adam, son of Adam of Anlasarche [Anglezarke] – piece of land in Anlasarche: concerning Ridleboyim, within these bounds: from the spring south of the aforesaid piece and thence following the Kar [Carr] as far as the spring north of that piece and here following the Stanclif as far as the aforesaid spring in the south, with reasonable egress and access, and another piece of land within these bounds: from the spring of the chapel following the ditches surrounding that piece as far as the aforesaid spring of the chapel, with buildings and reasonable egress and access, with common of pasture etc. in wood, plain, waters, ways and paths, free of all custom, with free pannage for pigs. Annual rent: 14 d. at St. Bartholomew’s. Reserved: outlays, mines, wastage of present and future assart.
Witness: William of Anderton, William of Wirynton [Warrington]; Hugh Gogard, Henry of Aschoc, William of Anderton, Adam of Dokysbury, etc.
[Add.N.B. This document reveals that there was already a chapel in Anglezarke as early as this, of apparent/ possible relevance to the future “oratory” in Duxbury. This chapel, being next to a spring, raises the suspicion that the spring itself might have been considered ‘holy’. This is also the earliest mention of mines in the area.]
24/1. c. 1290
Quitclaim: Elena, once wife of Thomas of Withul (Whittle-le-Woods) to William of Withul, her son – all right to lands in dower in Withil – William has given her for life the house and curtilage which Adam the Sponer once held and will pay her 5s 6d. of silver yearly for life.
Witns:- Warin of Clayon, John of Farington, Richard the Smith of Withul, Robert, son of Roger, John of the Banlee, Henry, son of William, etc. c. 1290.